Flash drive / removable drives now ubiquitous. They are used - by the "Sun-take out"! - very active in almost all PC users.
Sometimes, however, after the completion of work with flash (all files, folders and programs from a flash drive closed) operating system is the Windows «does not do" it, ie, a program is still running in the background with a memory stick - for example, anti-virus (or virus!) or Explorer the Windows or other file manager ...
In this case, when you try to remove the USB flash drive through the icon Safely Remove Hardware (located in the notification area of the taskbar ), a dialog box "problem when removing the" Mass Storage Device USB » with an appropriate message:
There are a variety of utility, the creators of which solemnly guarantee that using their immortal creations of the problem with removing the flash drives is achieved in a single click of the mouse. Unfortunately, sometimes even with the help of these tools can not remove the USB flash drive.
In the meantime, the easiest way to extract the stick, which "does not want to give» the Windows (an algorithm for action, is always on hand the Windows XP , for the operating system Vista minor differences will 7+)
- close all programs and files that you ran and opened;
- start the Windows Task Manager (in any manner, for example using the Ctrl + the Alt + the Delete , or via Start -> Run ... -> taskmgr -> the OK );
- In the Windows Task Manager, tab Processes ;
- select explorer.exe , click End Process ;
- authorizes the completion of the process - in the window warning the Task Manager with the message "WARNING! Ending a process can lead to undesirable results, including data loss or system instability. Do you really want to complete the process? " , Click Yes ;
- In the Windows Task Manager, select File -> New Task (Run ...) ;
- into the text field Open window Create New Task , type explorer -> the OK ;
- Run Windows Explorer ;
- try to remove a USB flash drive using the icon Safely Remove Hardware .
- Why not see the flash drive laptop
- Identifying the reasons
- Check the media through the "Disk Management"
- Resetting the BIOS settings
- Removing the old USB drivers
- RECOVERY flash drive
- Diagnosing the problem
- How to solve the problem?
Why not see the flash drive laptop
You connect a USB flash drive to your laptop, but nothing happens - the drive is not displayed in the system, with data stored on it is impossible to work. Very unpleasant situation, which requires immediate resolution.
Identifying the reasons
The first thing you need to realize that does not work: a laptop USB-port or flash-drive. To check, you can use a different USB flash drive - if the laptop it will determine what the problem is in the drive. If the laptop does not find any media, you have to check out a few system settings, failure of which could lead to such unpleasant results.
Check the media through the "Disk Management"
Check to see if the laptop detects a USB flash drive connected to it using the system utility "Disk Management":
- Using a combination of Win + R, start menu "Run".
- Enter "diskmgmt.msc" box and click "OK".
- Look, is there a list of connected drives your removable drive.
- connected USB flash drive is detected;
- all sections of the drive have the status "Healthy."
In this case, just click on the removable media, right-click and choose "Set Active". Additionally, you may need to assign a USB flash drive letter - if it was not done automatically by the system.
The status of "Not initialized" or "Unknown" instead of "Healthy" indicates that the defective flash drive; you need to think about recovering data that was stored on it.
Resetting the BIOS settings
Sometimes the laptop does not see the stick due to BIOS settings fails. Fix it can be reset to the factory settings and Manual USB-controller in the BIOS.
- Restart the computer and at startup, start pressing the Delete key (on some notebook models enter BIOS by pressing the button of a series of F1-F12).
- Find the parameter responsible for the work of USB controller, and make sure that he was exposed to the status «Enabled».
- If you can not find the option you want, go to the «Exit» tab and select «Load Optimal Defaults».
After repeated reload check whether the stick is detected. If the reset BISO settings did not help, go to the next option to solve the problem.
We recommend that you read how to enter the BIOS on different laptops. In the article there is a paragraph about how to enter the Bios.
Removing the old USB drivers
Windows installs the drivers for the USB drive when it is first connected to a computer. However, after removing the drive installed software will not disappear. Moreover, sometimes the old drivers interfere with the correct operation of other removable media . To eliminate this effect, you need to update the software of the USB-device:
- Right-click on the icon "Computer" and select "Device Manager."
- Open the tab «USB Controllers."
- Connect a USB flash drive - a list of controllers will be updated automatically.
- Locate the device that appears, click the right button and click "Delete."
After removal of the device you need to turn off the flash card, and then plug it back - the old drivers are removed, but the problem with finding the stick has to be solved.
RECOVERY flash drive
USB flash drive or any other USB device be automatically determined by the computer and displayed in Explorer and folder "This PC" when connected to USB port. But what if Windows sees the connected device?
Diagnosing the problem
The first thing to do when the connected USB device does not appear in the file manager Windows, you should check the tool Disk Management .
To open Disk Management in Windows 8/10, click, right-click on the menu Start and select "Disk Management" . In Windows 7, press the key combination Windows + R, resulting dialog box "Run" ; enter therein team diskmgmt.msc .
Check the list of drives in the window Disk Management and locate the USB drive that is not defined. It should be shown here even in his absence in the folder "This PC" and differ in size. Sometimes it is defined as "Removable device" , but not always.
- Turn on the drive if there is such a function. Some external hard drives have a separate power cord or included using designated for that key.
- Connect the device to a different USB port. Turn off the flash drive from the USB port of this and connect to another. Perhaps one of the USB ports on your computer went down.
- Connect your device to your computer without USB-hub. If the flash drive is connected to a computer via an extension cable or USB-hub, try disconnecting it from him and plug directly into the computer. Perhaps the reason is in the hub.
- Try a different computer. Plug the flash drive into the USB port on another computer, and see whether he sees it. If the device is not defined as another computer, it's likely a problem in the device.
How to solve the problem?
If the above options do not apply to you, then your problem will likely be solved by one of the following methods. Depending on what you find in disk management , possible solutions to the problem of determining external storage medium.
If Windows offers format the drive after connecting
If the system sees the drive but could not read it, it means that the device file system that Windows does not support. In this case, the operating system prompt to format the drive before using it. But do not do it! This will destroy all your data.
If other computers see the stick and not your
If other computers to see your USB drive and your not, you probably have a problem with the device driver.
To check, open Device Manager and look for disk drives and controllers USB . See if there are no sections in these devices marked with yellow exclamation mark. If such a device is, click on the right mouse button and select Properties . In the properties will be given information about possible error and status of drivers.
Properties / Driver / Update Driver .
If the drive is visible in Disk Management
If the drive is visible in Disk Management but not the letter, it is for this reason that it can not be displayed in Explorer Windows. In order for it began to appear in Windows Explorer, then drive letter to assign.
To do this, click, right-click on it and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths Disk" . If the pop-up menu there is no point - it could be due to lack or unsupported file system type information carrier.
Add / Assign a drive letter / Ok .
If the drive is visible in Disk Management, but not distributed
If the drive is visible in Disk Management , but it was not distributed, it means that it is not formatted. In order to become a workable drive, click on the right mouse button and select "New Simple Volume" .
Select the maximum proposed size of the partition and assign the proposed system drive letter. Then drive will normally be defined and the system is ready for use.
If the drive is visible in Disk Management, but it can not be formatted
If for some reason the disc format does not work, then return performance can be completely clean and then re-create the partition.
Note . As a result of the manipulation of all currently drive (flash drive or memory card) is purged forever. So take care in advance about their safety - scan disk or flash drive using Hetman Partition Recovery, and save your data in a convenient location.
To clean the disc, open the Command Prompt as administrator and clean it by using the diskpart - «clean» .