- What you'll need
- Information about the differences between XML and HTML site maps
- Step 1 - Create an XML sitemap to WordPress
- Step 2 - Create HTML site map for WordPress
- Step 3 - Adding XML sitemap to search engines
Before starting the tutorials on how to create a site map, we will tell a little about its meaning and history.
What is a sitemap? The name speaks for itself, site map - a list of available users and search engines pages. You probably noticed on various sites, in particular belonging to public institutions, a reference to the so-called "site map". This is nothing but a way to show the people and the search engines on all available pages on your site.
Site maps were introduced back in the early days of the Internet in 1994 and 1995, when it was decided that the site map should be an integral part of every site. Perhaps it happened because of the fact that in those days sitemap was the only method of site navigation is now past designers and programmers were introduced more user friendly and aesthetically beautiful elements of navigation.
Now you might think, since we have a fast and easy navigation, the site map, we no longer need. But this is not the case. It is even more important in terms of SEO optimization. Here are some advantages as to why site maps are so important:
- They improve the visibility of your website for the search engines and provide its fast indexing.
- Sitemap informs the search engines about all the changes on your site.
- It also helps to index sites with large amounts of information, and pages that are not well structured or related links.
These are just a few reasons why site maps are important and why you should create one for your site on WordPress. In this tutorial we go through the types of site maps, learn how to create a site map in WordPress and add it to the search engines. Let's start.
What you'll need
Before you begin this tutorial, you need the following:
- Access to the WordPress control panel
Information about the differences between XML and HTML site maps
In a broader sense, a site map can be divided into two categories of XML and HTML. Their main difference is that the XML is basically designed for the search engines, whereas HTML site map is written for users of the site.
- XML sitemap :
XML sitemap, as mentioned earlier, is intended for the search engines, and contains in addition to the site's URL and more metadata. It contains all the information about the pages. For example, when a particular page has been updated, or how often it updates occur, etc.
- HTML sitemap :
HTML site map is designed to provide users with easy navigation. It provides the user with a link to the page About Us , Shopping , etc. Without a doubt, it is intended for users, but at the same time can also help to increase the ranking of your site in search engines, so how to make your website more convenient for them.
Both versions, as a result, help search engines more efficient to scan your site. Choice of which one to use is up to you, but we recommend that you use both - one for the search engines and one for users. This will ensure not only the user experience, but also give you a good SEO to increase.
It does not matter if your site is very popular, newly created or a simple blog. Sitemap is equally important for any website. For example, for blogs with a small number of backlinks a site map will help in its indexing.
Let's start our tutorial on how to create a site map and adding it to WordPress.
Step 1 - Create an XML sitemap to WordPress
In WordPress XML card in several ways it can be created. In this guide you will learn how to create a sitemap using a WordPress plugin.
Option 1 - How to create a sitemap using SEO Yoast
Yoast SEO - this is one of the most popular plug-ins, which is widely used to improve SEO on websites or WordPress blogs. The plugin allows to work with all the technical aspects related to content and helping you to evaluate keyword density, H1 and H2 tags, readability, etc. He will help us to generate XML sitemaps.
Follow these steps to add XML sitemap for your WordPress SEO by Yoast plugin:
- Install and activate a WordPress Plugin Yoast SEO.
- Once activated, go to SEO → Features and enable more page setup .
- This function will create XML site map and add a new section XML Site Map in SEO . Here you can change various settings: the maximum number of entries, with the exception of certain records and pages and much more. You do not need to change anything here, unless of course you do not want to create a custom site map.
- Thus, you generate an XML site map using the plugin. Link to it can be found in your the Sitemap the XML → the XML the Sitemap .
Option 2 - Create an XML site map using the Google XML Sitemaps
The plugin Google XML sitemap can also be used to generate XML sitemaps.
This plugin makes it possible to generate it for a wide variety of search engines such as Ask, Google, Yahoo and Bing. The plugin creates a sitemap for all pages and custom URL. In addition, it will automatically notify major search engines about the publication of new content.
Here are some steps that you should hold to set it:
- Install and activate the plugin from the official WordPress repository.
- Once activated, it will automatically generate a sitemap.
- To find a link to it, go to the page settings the XML Sitemaps → . Here you can also change some settings, such as records of priority content exceptions, etc.
Step 2 - Create HTML site map for WordPress
Plugins as discussed in the previous section help to generate XML sitemaps. Now, if you want to create an HTML sitemap, you can use the plugin WP Sitemap Page.
To create an HTML site map for WordPress, follow these steps:
- Install and activate the plugin on your WordPress.
- Add new page and [wp_sitemap_page] shortcode in the place where you want to located your HTML site map.
- Click Publish. Now you can visit this page to view your HTML site map.
Step 3 - Adding XML sitemap to search engines
Step 3.1 - Adding XML sitemap to Google
Once the XML sitemap is ready, add it to the Google search console. The first step to this would be asserting itself as a site owner. To do this, use one of several methods of verification.
- After that, open the Google Search Console and select your site.
- Click the Scan and select a Sitemap.
- Click on Adding / Sitemap file testing .
- Enter the address of your WordPress site map, and then click to confirm.
- Now, wait a couple of days to scan your pages Google search engines.
If your site contains a lot of pictures, we recommend that you create a sitemap for images. You can also add a site map and video.
Step 3.2 - Adding XML sitemap to Bing
Bing - this is another search engine that you can also add your sitemap. Also, as is the case with the addition of a site using Google Search Console card, we will use Bing Webmaster Tools. Of course, you need to re-pass the test site property. More detailed instructions can be found here. During the test, enter its address and click Add .
This is all that is required to add a site to Bing maps.
Step 3.3 - Adding XML sitemap to Yandex
To add a map to your site requires a Yandex account Yandex.Webmaster.
- To get started, sign in to your account Yandex.Webmaster.
- Choose from a list of sites for which you want to add a site map.
- Next, click Indexing → Sitemap files.
- Enter a string a link to the file, and then click Add .
- Now you add a map of your site in Yandex.
Site maps are an integral part of your site. The main purpose of the site is to satisfy the needs of users, and then, in the process, of course, securing the top lines in the ranking of search engines. In both of these aspects can help you correctly done sitemap. Not only does it provide easy navigation for the user, but also help in crawling and indexing your site by search engines.
Hopefully, following the instructions in this guide, you can create a site map for WordPress and add it to the search engines.