Remote Desktop allows you to connect to your computer over the Internet with another computer or even a smartphone. You may frequently need to do something on a different computer, even if you're not next to him. Such an opportunity is and Ubuntu.
In this article we will look at how to configure remote desktop Ubuntu 16.04, as well as how to connect to it using a variety of devices. As a remote access protocol, we will use the VNC, it is slow and outdated, but always maintained. In Ubuntu 16.04 all almost all software is already installed by default, you can only change a few settings.
Remote Ubuntu desktop
As I have said, as the remote access protocol, we will use VNC. And as a server - Vino, this program is supplied by default with the distribution. And you will make only a few adjustments to its work.
Dash Open the main menu and type in the search for Desktop Sharing.
If the system does not detect anything, it is often an issue. You can run the utility through the terminal. To do this, open a terminal using Ctrl + Alt + T and type:
Then, in the window that opens, check the box "Allow other users to view your desktop" Then, opposite the "Require password" , enter the password that will be used to connect:
Here, all remote desktop ubuntu configured. And now you can try to connect to your computer using a different Linux distribution. But there is another point. You will not be able to connect from Windows. By default, including mandatory encryption. And this is not supported by all clients. To disable the forced encryption to install dconf-editor:
sudo apt install dconf-editor
Then, open the program and follow the path org.gnome.desktop.remote-desktop there uncheck from:
You are now ready to test the connection to the remote desktop ubuntu. Open the main menu and look for the remote connection client Remmina.
In the connection string, select the protocol of the VNC , then enter the address, as we gathered to check on the local machine, enter localhost, but in other cases you will have to use the ip address of the computer. Then click "Connect" :
Immediately the program will ask you for a password to gain remote access to the computer:
And then in the VNC server system will ask whether you want to connect to a remote desktop ubuntu 16.04 to the client:
Once you approve the connection, you can use the remote desktop. Now is the time to connect from another computer. You can use any VNC client for Linux, Windows, or Android and connect to your computer if it is in the local network. In addition, you can access it even via the Internet to create a private local area network, for example, using hamachi or OpenVPN.
In this article, we discussed how to configure Remote Desktop for Ubuntu 16.04, as well as how to access it on other devices. It's very simple, even simpler than the same x11vnc, for which you want to create multiple configuration files. If you have any questions, ask in the comments!
Check the settings and the RDP-connection work can be on our demo server.
Today we will configure RDP-connection Tucha from the local machine under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS control. Through this client, you can connect to any remote machine running Windows Server 2008 and 2012. To do this, we will use the built-in RDP-client as "remote desktop client Remmina». More information about him can be found on the official website.
So, let's begin.
Configuring the connection to Remmina
- To start the "Remote Desktop Client Remmina", you must open the "Main Menu" in the search field to start entering "Remmina" and run it.
- To create a new connection, you need to click in the window of a button or use a combination of №1 «Ctrl» + «N».
- In the window "Parameters Remote Desktop" should be set the elements of access and connection settings.
- In the "Name" enter the name of the connection that will be displayed in the main window, the RDP-client.
Note: 1. If you plan to create many different connections, you can group them to display the comforts of home RDP-client window. For this purpose, the "Group" field you should enter the name of a group of connections. And when you create subsequent connections, if they belong to this group, simply select the group from the "Group" drop-down list.
Note 2. Remmina allows you to create the RDP-connection in the form of tabs, which is very useful if have to work simultaneously with multiple desktops.
- In the "Protocol" drop-down list, select the «RDP-Remote Desktop Protocol".
- In the "Server" field, enter the domain name and port of the virtual machine, sharing them with each other ":" (no spaces!).
- In the "User Name" enter the user name that you created in the virtual machine.
- In the "Password", respectively, enter the password of the account on the remote machine.
- The checkbox "Resolution" to select the most suitable option. "Use client solution" - it automatically adjusts the remote desktop session to fit your computer screen from which you are connecting. "Manual" - is the ability to select the desired resolution, such as 1280 by 960.
- In the dropdown list of "Color Depth" to select the most suitable option.
Note: 1. If you do not fill in the "Password" and "User name", these data will be requested every time you connect to the remote desktop.
Note 2: The "domain" fill in necessary if the remote server has multiple domain names.
Note. With a slow or unstable connection to the Internet should select the lowest value for this parameter.
- In the drop-down "shared folder" list, select if necessary, folder or drive to be connected to the remote desktop.
- Once you have entered all the required data, you must go to the tab "Advanced".
- "Coordination" In this tab, click the drop-down "Security" item list.
Note. Tab « the SSH» when the RDP connection-we do not need.
Note. This item is selected in the case in the details of access to Tucha was no indication to choose a different item of the list.
The following additional parameters can be set in this tab:
[list of the type = "check"]
- Field "Run" and "start address" allows you to limit working in a remote session with only one application.
- Select "Make local printers available to the public" will allow use in a remote session, the local printer.
- "Disable sync clipboard" buffer disables sharing between the local machine and the virtual machine to which there is a connection.
- Accordingly, the last check box "Attach to the console (Windows 2003/2003 R2)» lets you connect to the console versions of the respective OS.
Note. The button "Default" allows you entered the default settings for all future connections that will be created.